Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Generator .. ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Random Generator .. ? Empty
PostSubject: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 10:47 am

Not so random. Statistically speaking. What are the odds of getting NINE (9) greps in emme caves in a row (gold only chest excluded). I think I have better chances of winning the lottery given the possible number of items those chests can give.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 8:59 pm

I would need to see the chests to be able to tell you the odds.
Not all chests are random and random chests can give between 2 and 10 (or is it 20?) items.

Without looking at the specific chests I could not comment on their randomness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Are chests designed like

A steel owl
B steel bear
C grep

or it like

A armor
B grep

or like

a helm
b chest
c potion

???
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 1:50 am

1. Bronze helm
2. Bronze Armour
3. Mana potion

1/3rd chance of each being generated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 2:08 am

So if each of those chests had only a 1 in 3 chance of giving a grep, that'd make it a 1 in 20,000 occurrence roughly.

I suppose its possible to randomly get that once. But I've also noticed other times that it just feels like the 'random' is based on the game timer. Things like getting 3 bear wands back to back..etc. Its just happened too many times to REALLY seem random.

Tldr; Im nuts and its not truly important.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 3:09 am

I have never tested the random number generator to see if it is truly random.
It is a standard C function.

Having said that, I got so many "lost focus" on my heals in the recent ML that I felt is was not random either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Lordlava wrote:
I have never tested the random number generator to see if it is truly random.
It is a standard C function.

Having said that, I got so many "lost focus" on my heals in the recent ML that I felt is was not random either.
It's semi random as I recall. To make it truly random I think you include the TIME function as a seed which does the trick.
Back to top Go down
lurker

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 8:28 am

I wonder if you could just replace the RANDOM macro with arc4random() instead of random() it's a bit more random.

Though I think that would require adding the bsd library.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 4:31 am

Argh!

random() is used everywhere and a few other places besides.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 8:25 am

CopyPaste ruins every last bit of originality.
Back to top Go down
lurker

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 9:30 am

Did a bit of testing with random(), it seems you get a better range of random when using larger numbers. Might make things have a better distribution by having it be a random number in 10x what it currently is. So instead of 1 in 20 make it 10 in 200.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 1:56 am

It still means hundreds if not thousands of places to find and change....
Back to top Go down
lurker

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 7:28 am

You could always just change the more common things, like losing focus. Or give me the code you have and I'll do it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Generator .. ?   Random Generator .. ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Generator .. ?
Page 1 of 1