Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shield Skill

Go down 
+4
Andy
Urdadi
Iktomi
Lordlava
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lordlava

Lordlava

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:12 am

At the moment the base shield skill is only used to be able to allow you to use a better shield.
It does not impact on attack or defence in any other way.
So increasing the base shield skill has no other impact on anything beyond the base requirements for a shield.

A suggestion is that mod shield skill should increase defence (parry) and decrease attack.

For example, a shield mod of 150 could increase defence by say 150/15 = +10 and decrease attack by -10.
This would only have an impact while u were wearing the shield. Shield mod would have no impact while not wearing a shield.

This is a suggestion and open to debate/discussion/useful contributions.
Back to top Go down
Iktomi

Iktomi

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:42 am

I like the idea of having it increase parry but I don't know if it should really effect attack in a negative manner. I hate to use real life as an example but in many cases of history shields were commonly used in both defensive and offensive ways. I believe that it should than either increase attack or not effect attack in any manner.
Back to top Go down
Urdadi

Urdadi

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:00 am

Agreed, items can have drawbacks as well as benefits but raising a stat shouldn't hurt you in any way.
Back to top Go down
Andy

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 am

I agree with the idea but -10 attack is a bit high, mayb -2.5(1/4)? or 1/3???
Back to top Go down
flipper

flipper

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 am

I tend to think if you are busy cowering behind your shield you would have a hard time attacking anything.
On the same note, Fighting with a shield in hand does create a hinderance but like Ikto said, the shield itself can be used as a weapon.

I think a 1:-1 AV:WV is a bit drastic though. Perhaps 1:-0.5 rounded down.

Back to top Go down
Ravhin

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:59 pm

-10 weapon value is a significant damage reduction for slightly higher armor value.

If it were me, I would forgo a shield and just use magic shield scrolls.

*** edit for additional thoughts ***

Since shields can be used per say as attack/defense, then perhaps some random additional attack / defense per attack.

Each time something attacks, or you attack it's a dice roll. Maybe you can do something like:

Enemy attacks : they hit you for x damage
Enemy attacks: blocked all of x damage or partial block based on mod shield
Enemy attacks: counter attack with shield for damage

Dunno, just an old man rambling! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Switchblade

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:56 pm

I don't know if Dual Wield is under the same circumstances (meaning it just enhances weapon value). If it is, then I believe dual wielding should add parry/attack as well.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:48 am

Never looked at how DW works.

All I know of it is that I invetsed 800k in DW skill and hit update only to realise I put it into Rest by accident.

Came close to tears. Sad
Back to top Go down
Iktomi

Iktomi

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:26 pm

I am pretty darn sure DW does not add parry/attack but only mods WV. As a warrior I would love to get some parry from that skill even if it is a little bit more.
Back to top Go down
rmcin329@hotmail.com

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 7:40 pm

i know this topic is rather old, but what was decided on this issue?
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 9:14 am

Old but not forgotten.

Just not top of the priority lisy yet but I will get around to it - like all the odd jobs around the house Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shield Skill Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Skill   Shield Skill Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shield Skill
Page 1 of 1