Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Server restore compensation

Go down 
+13
Bill
Motoko
Oldhaus
legacy
bubblecathie
Limitless
Wind
Diablo
Supaguard
Cicgur
Ouaco
Grub
Lazywarrior
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Should compensation be offered where the server has to be restored to an older backup
Yes - give back what ever the player said they lost
Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_lcap30%Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 7 ]
Yes - give back the experience the player said they lost but no items
Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_lcap22%Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 5 ]
Yes - give back some exp or luck in partial compensation for anyone who said they lost something
Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes - give back anything the player can prove they list (screenshots etc)
Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_lcap4%Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Yes - give back a token amount of exp but not huge amounts
Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes - give back only what can be proven from the logs
Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 3 ]
No - this is a development game and crashes are part of the risk we take
Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_lcap30%Server restore compensation - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Lordlava

Lordlava

Server restore compensation - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:43 am

There was a bit of confusion on the roll back.

I was not able to restart the server as it kept getting the same file size error and all the data files looked OK to me.
The last entry in the log file (I was only able to see about the last 12 lines) appeared to be at about 11:30PM - 30 minutes before the last backup which was at midnight.
My assumption was that the server crashed at this time.

I backed up the data files as there were (unable to be restarted).
I restored back to the last backup (midnight) and the same error occurred.
I restored back to the previous backup (6PM) and the same error occurred.
It appeared that restore route was not going to work so I looked elsewhere.
I deleted about 50Gb of old backup files in case there was some obscure disk space limit.
This did not help.
I googled the message and found references to the 2Gb limit.
I sorted various folders and found the log file sitting at 2Gb.  Guilty as charged!
I renamed it and the server restarted.
I shut it down again and restored back to the midnight backup (assuming the server crashed b4 this backup based on the last log entry).
The confusion is that I do not actually know when the server crashed and whether it crashed on the last entry in the log file or some time there after.

If my original assumption was correct then the max loss should have been 0-59 minutes.
If the server actually kept going after the last entry then the max loss would have been 0-6.5 hours.
This is the confusion from my part on the length of time.

With hindsight maybe I should have restored back to the backup I did before I started doing anything.  I has assumed the files were corrupted at that stage and this backup was for forensic examination at a later date.

Note that my vote rigging is not going very well at the moment and I will have to scrounge up some more "voters".  :0
Back to top Go down
Zidane

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:45 am

Limitless wrote:
Zidane wrote:
How about after a Roll Back or if the servers been down for a while have a 12 hour period that starts for each character when the log in where you get 50-100% more exp!

I think we are all missing the reason we even play this game. The grind is what keeps us coming back for more. Once we hit warlord people will complain there is nothing to do and want more content put in.

History always repeats itself.

Actually that is the reason why everyone is annoyed they lost exp lol. its all about the grind and we grind for a whole day for it to be taking away from us... The point for me is to try get to warlord not get some of the way and have that exp rolled back.
Back to top Go down
Zidane

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:46 am

Shouldn't the voters Be only those who where affected by the roll back?
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:50 am

Nooooo.
They will always vote "give me more and give it to me now".

This is a general philosophical discussion that may (or may not) hold sway with recalcitrant petty deities under the circumstance where a roll back has occurred to a previous backup.
Back to top Go down
Zidane

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:51 am

arr ok i see i thought it was about the last roll back, ill change my vote then, i voted top option cos i no everybody online wouldnt BS for more stuff, and people would catch on
Back to top Go down
Limitless

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 5:17 am

As an X-admin on multiple servers, you do realize how long going through that many logs from 10-12 hours will take right?

I vote to wipe the whole server which will bring this issue to an end. As well as the issue of people hoarding uniques. Case solved.
Back to top Go down
Bill

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 5:28 am

I didn't realize the pole was to set some kind of precedent.

Since that's the case, my suggestion would be that if the rollback is only an hour and the actual most recent backup gets used then no compensation should be given.  Anyone can suck it up if it's just an hour.

If, however, it's more than an hour like the current one then I think people should be compensated.  Going through the logs is probably time better spent doing something else, so I think there's nothing wrong with using the honor system.  If someone's claims look blatantly false then maybe resort to the logs and offer some sort of punishment for lying.
Back to top Go down
amanar

amanar

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 8:46 am

Back to top Go down
Zidane

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 3:26 pm

Is the lq official pay back or just something fun your doing amanar? Because I know a fair few of us who won't be on at that time
Back to top Go down
Wind

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 4:43 pm

amanar wrote:
I'll host an LQ tomorrow from this rollback.

https://aranock.rpg-board.net/t3533-exp-rollback-lq-wednesday-jan-6-530pm-est#20659

Off I go, for coffee and hamburger,
I shall wake up at 10:30AM GMT+9 to save Aranock cheers

for Aranock and Sir Tank lol!
Back to top Go down
Limitless

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Dang, I work 7-6 and then I gotta coach my twin sons basketball team.

Good luck with LQ y'all.

Give them hell Amanar!
Back to top Go down
Oldhaus

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2016 2:12 am

Limitless wrote:
Dang, I work 7-6 and then I gotta coach my twin sons basketball team.

Good luck with LQ y'all.

Give them hell Amanar!

A lot of us Western Australia players won't be able to make it as well, it will be approx 9:30 am meaning we'll be at work. Hoping it might be shifted to the weekend.
Back to top Go down
legacy

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2016 3:24 am

Firstly, the rollback was definitely NOT 1 hour. It was at least 6 hours, probably more.
Secondly I don't think another LQ is going to solve the problem, as we are not just asking for compensation from the LQ (which I got 100k reward) but for hours of penting or questing or whatever. Also, I know a lot of people who are asleep and who won't make it as it is like 6:30am in the morning. But by all means, your LQ's are quite enjoyable Amped so I say host as many as you like!
Thirdly, let the poll decide, overwhelmingly the votes point towards Yes, at least of some description.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2016 4:24 am

Legacy wrote:
Thirdly, let the poll decide, overwhelmingly the votes point towards Yes, at least of some description.

However, my ring in No votes have not yet fulfilled their contract. I am getting a bit worried about their reliability and maybe offering them a pretty red flower was not enough... clown
Back to top Go down
Oldhaus

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 2:32 am

Lordlava wrote:
Legacy wrote:

However, my ring in No votes have not yet fulfilled their contract.  I am getting a bit worried about their reliability and maybe offering them a pretty red flower was not enough... clown

I'm trying to decode that, excuse me if I'm wrong but has the poll somewhat been rigged?

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Zidane

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 2:40 am

Sure seems that a whole bunch of Non Active players suddenly voted for the last option lol... Why not just give us back the exp we lost. It took me 3 days to get back what i lost now i'm at work again. I'd like to keep playing knowing if something like this happens it wont affect our playing/grinding. I'm positive most others will feel the same
Back to top Go down
legacy

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 3:23 am

Well technically, if you add up the amount of players who voted in the positive (yes) then it far exceeds the only (no) option.
Spreading the answers out with only one negative option and then saying that it has the most votes is kind of cheating.

Basically, way more people voted yes (but with different conditions) then no.

So gimme xp plz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Oldhaus

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 3:41 am

legacy wrote:
Well technically, if you add up the amount of players who voted in the positive (yes) then it far exceeds the only (no) option.  
Spreading the answers out with only one negative option and then saying that it has the most votes is kind of cheating.

Basically, way more people voted yes (but with different conditions) then no.

So gimme xp plz Very Happy

haha touche!
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 7:43 am

I am a bad boy sometimes but i would not stoop so low as to rig a vote....
I will try to resolve the situation this weekend.
Some may be disappointed.

As an aside i noticed that it appeared that a few votes may have changed over the course of the period and no it was not me changing them.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 7:44 am

/raise oldhaus 1
Back to top Go down
Asmodeus

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 8:57 am

Lordlava wrote:
I am a bad boy sometimes but i would not stoop so low as to rig a vote....
I will try to resolve the situation this weekend.
Some may be disappointed.

As an aside i noticed that it appeared that a few votes may have changed over the course of the period and no it was not me changing them.

Disappointed how?

Anyway, 66% of voters have been in favor of the compensation in some form or another. In statistically terms thats pretty good. At the same time, that appears to be around the number of players who were significantly affected by the rollback considering posts about exp lost. Seems like valid results. 14vs 7.

Back to top Go down
Limitless

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 9:09 am

I'm under the impression that they may still be discussing it or this was a hint that it won't happen. (LL clearly posted it isn't a guarantee.

I think we have done a decent job waiting patiently to see the outcome and a response should come shortly.
Back to top Go down
Asmodeus

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 9:12 am

I agree. This weekend isn't too far off and I don't really care for my self personally. However, not everything is as easily replaced. Some players lost a few hours of pents which is discouraging. Whichever way this is handled, I accept. It is a fringe event anyway.
Back to top Go down
amanar

amanar

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 10:45 am

The poll results lean towards not receiving any compensation whatsoever.

We will wait for LL to decide.

Back to top Go down
Asmodeus

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2016 12:02 pm

amanar wrote:
The poll results lean towards not receiving any compensation whatsoever.

We will wait for LL to decide.

35% no, 65% yes. Sorry this is a significant statistical difference. The poll is a flawed one and that is the issue. Also this poll is unfair to begin with as non-active players will still vote despite not being specifically affected by the rollback in question. So no, this poll is leaning strongly towards yes and this poll is not a fair tool given the reactions of those who have not lost anything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Server restore compensation   Server restore compensation - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Server restore compensation
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next